“The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone” is exactly the kind of My Little Pony episode I like: A perfect combination of heart and humor. The episode made me laugh, and go “Aw.”
Other thoughts on the episode:
1. Pinkie Pie was very funny.
2. Griffonstone looks like some place out of Skyrim.
3. It was nice to see Gilda again.
4. I’m glad that Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Gilda made up.
5. I’m glad Gilda learned a lesson about friendship: Making friends isn’t easy, and it does take time.
6. Gilda’s flashback to her meeting Rainbow Dash made me go “Aw.”
7. Near the end of the episode, I was reminded of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989).
8. Gummy, Pinkie Pie’s pet alligator, and Twilight, were funny too.
9. The pacing of the episode was just right: There was never a dull moment — never a moment where I thought “Can we move on?”
10. The way the griffon kingdom was made sense: I wasn’t let down when I saw it.
11: The behavior of the characters made sense. There was never a moment when I thought “Why would you do that?”
I’ve only dipped my toe into the ocean that is the brony fandom, and thus I go into My Little Pony episodes with no expectations. I treat every episode like a roller coaster: Before I watch an episode, I think “Okay. Surprise me.” And, in the case of “The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone,” I was surprised. This is my favorite episode of season five so far.